hammer felt (Renner Blues)

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:34:54 -0700

Isaac:

When you say didn't respond to voicing in the shoulders, do you mean to =
open up the tone, or to make more power by needling from down below?

When you say no tension, did you find the hammers dead sounding? =20

It's not been my experience generally. =20

The importance of the staple is somewhat controversial.  There are those =
who argue that it adds tension to the lower part of the hammer and those =
who say it doesn't make any difference.  The Renner blue is, of course, =
without a staple.  =20

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Isaac OLEG=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: September 21, 2002 3:33 PM
  Subject: RE: hammer felt (Renner Blues)

  David
  The one I had did not really respond to voicing in the shoulders, as =
being too mushy there. May be with a few deep stitches from the start it =
could gain some more active resilience.=20
  As it was the tension was almost none, but very nice felt indeed.

  Renner use this felt since a few years, and I believe actually on all =
their hammers. The problem they have is that the molding they buy (I =
understand that they don't do that themselves) are more stiffer than =
before, and they don't like to make hammers with that sharp wooden =
molding as in some Steinway, Bechstein, etc.

  I suspect that the Wurzen Felt, being softer, is more prone to be =
damaged if forced on a sharp molding. Beside, of course they would hate =
to break the moldings in the gluing process, and that is more the case =
with thin moldings of course.
  Nowadays, All actual hammers, for Steinways, and other makes, are =
generally thicker wood, and this felt that techs are often wondering how =
to treat.

  But of course "nothing never changed " will be told you if you ask.

  I had to needle a C1 hammer (on a Yamaha G2) , and indeed 30 stitches =
was the maximum in the medium (for first voicing), a bit too much near =
the break. In the treble I begin to voice at 9:30, but finally was =
obliged to go back from the low regions, as the strength was not enough.

  I will see that again after a bit of playing, I guess the natural =
sound of this felt is enough as it is, not really crisp, mellow and =
round but forcefully enough.
  It will be clearer in time, but not at all as the tone of the old =
Yamaha hammers, so metallic, I for sure like it better (and C1 C2 hammer =
assembly for Yamahas are cheap (around $430).

  Regards and good Sunday

  Isaac OLEG