hammer felt

Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:07:36 -0700

According to a fairly recent conversation I had with Lloyd Meyer, Renner =
blues are Wurzen felt.  The Renner blue is somewhat softer than its =
European counterpart.  Where Andre is needing 30 stitches in the tenor, =
a Renner blue will need considerably less.

David Love
=20

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 21, 2002 8:06 AM
  Subject: Re: hammer felt

  In a message dated 9/21/2002 1:32:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time, =

    Subj:hammer felt=20
    Date:9/21/2002 1:32:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    From:antares@euronet.nl
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

             Antares

              I believe the only hammer like this in America cost about =
800 dollars and it is sold by the Steinway factory. I heard a couple of =
sample hammers in a piano and I confess I was impressed. But two hammers =
is not really a fair assesment for me however  my friend has used a =
couple of sets on larger steinways and he loved the sounds. But 800 =
bucks is to rich for my blood. What do these hammers cost in Europe? If =
it's less than half of 800 I'll try a set.
  Regards
      Dale Erwin

    And then I say (speaking from a long time experience) :

    Try the Renner hammers with Wurzen felt.
    I don't know about the 'Renner blues' made for the US market (maybe =
they are
    made with lower tension because of your (American) way with hammer =
dopes)
    but at least here in Europe the Renner hammers (with Wurzen) are the =
very
    best hammers available and you find them on B=F6sendorfers, =
Bechsteins,
    Steinways and  other well known piano makers.
    Yamaha uses Wurzen on their CFIIIS and these days even Samick in =
Seoul buys
    Wurzen felt.

    The Renner Wurzen hammers we use have the following characteristics =
:

    Nice, even tone from the beginning.
    Middle section needs some voicing and opening up (usually around 30
    strokes).
    Lower bass hammers, usually the first octave, need battery voicing =
(driving
    up the powers from the base of the hammers).
    Higher treble hammers (from c''' to c'''') need battery voicing.
    The highest treble hammers, usually the last 5 or 6 hammers, need =
some dope
    to give them a little more 'ping'.

    Just yesterday, I voiced an older baby Grotrian Steinweg grand with =
these
    Renner hammers and it took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to needle =
them,
    file them, clean them up and apply the dope.

    Result :
    A nice, warm and even sounding Grotrian Steinweg baby with a 'ping' =
in the
    high treble.

    By looking closely at the fibers of the Wurzen felt, and especially =
on the
    sides, we clearly see that this felt is not just a dense, stone =
hard,
    lifeless piece of felt. On the contrary, it almost seems like it was =
woven
    like a beautiful and very expensive Kashmir shawl and after hearing =
the
    result, we can understand why, in the earlier days, the great piano =
makers
    in Europe used this felt.
    Now that the Eastern part of Germany has been added to its former =
halve, the
    factory has opened again, continuing to make what they had to =
temporarily
    stop a long time ago.

    friendly greetings
    from