Keybed Maintenance

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:06:38 EDT

List,

On the subject of keeping mice out of a vertical piano's keybed, whenever I
vacuum out a keybed, I always use some wet or dry lube from Schaff Piano
Supply before reinstalling the keys.  On old pianos where there may be some
corrosion, the wet lube tends to soften it.  This makes the keys slide in
easier if nothing more.

I use the dry lube on newer pianos.  If there are many marginally tight keys,
often, cleaning the keybed, spraying both the keypins and bushings will cut
down on or eliminate the need for easing which can be destructive if overdone.

I have often thought that these kinds of substances would also not be very
palatable to mice.  A clean, well lubricated keybed would be far less
inviting to a mouse wanting to nest than one which is neglected.

Anyone else think so too?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin