hammer felt - prices in Europe

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 18:06:10 +0200

Hello,

more around €300 (=$300) maximum for hammers bought straight from the
factory (Renner) catalog, and drilled to spec.

Can't speak for Andre but he have special fabrications made for him,
matching better the originals that standard catalog hammers.

I've seen a sample of Renner blue, the tension is low, but they are pressed
a bit in the gluing process. The felt look like Wurzen ,nice quality, but as
these hammers are not stapled, the voicing process as I've understand it may
not be useable on these (not enough tension & density reserve to work with).

The original Steinway D hammers sold here are about 1400$ when sold glued on
shanks, or around 800 $ for mod D heads, like yours, other models slightly
less.

But these are all made by Renner actually, and with the same Filtz.

Regards./

Isaac
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Erwinspiano@aol.com
  Envoyé : samedi 21 septembre 2002 17:06
  À : pianotech@ptg.org
  Objet : Re: hammer felt

  In a message dated 9/21/2002 1:32:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

    Subj:hammer felt
    Date:9/21/2002 1:32:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    From:antares@euronet.nl
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet

             Antares

              I believe the only hammer like this in America cost about 800
dollars and it is sold by the Steinway factory. I heard a couple of sample
hammers in a piano and I confess I was impressed. But two hammers is not
really a fair assesment for me however  my friend has used a couple of sets
on larger steinways and he loved the sounds. But 800 bucks is to rich for my
blood. What do these hammers cost in Europe? If it's less than half of 800
I'll try a set.
  Regards
      Dale Erwin

    And then I say (speaking from a long time experience) :

    Try the Renner hammers with Wurzen felt.
    I don't know about the 'Renner blues' made for the US market (maybe they
are
    made with lower tension because of your (American) way with hammer
dopes)
    but at least here in Europe the Renner hammers (with Wurzen) are the
very
    best hammers available and you find them on Bösendorfers, Bechsteins,
    Steinways and  other well known piano makers.
    Yamaha uses Wurzen on their CFIIIS and these days even Samick in Seoul
buys
    Wurzen felt.

    The Renner Wurzen hammers we use have the following characteristics :

    Nice, even tone from the beginning.
    Middle section needs some voicing and opening up (usually around 30
    strokes).
    Lower bass hammers, usually the first octave, need battery voicing
(driving
    up the powers from the base of the hammers).
    Higher treble hammers (from c''' to c'''') need battery voicing.
    The highest treble hammers, usually the last 5 or 6 hammers, need some
dope
    to give them a little more 'ping'.

    Just yesterday, I voiced an older baby Grotrian Steinweg grand with
these
    Renner hammers and it took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes to needle
them,
    file them, clean them up and apply the dope.

    Result :
    A nice, warm and even sounding Grotrian Steinweg baby with a 'ping' in
the
    high treble.

    By looking closely at the fibers of the Wurzen felt, and especially on
the
    sides, we clearly see that this felt is not just a dense, stone hard,
    lifeless piece of felt. On the contrary, it almost seems like it was
woven
    like a beautiful and very expensive Kashmir shawl and after hearing the
    result, we can understand why, in the earlier days, the great piano
makers
    in Europe used this felt.
    Now that the Eastern part of Germany has been added to its former halve,
the
    factory has opened again, continuing to make what they had to
temporarily
    stop a long time ago.

    friendly greetings
    from