A well tempered tale

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:39:30 -0500

David,

At 08:18 9/20/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>I tuned an Ibach Transposing piano for the first time yesterday.  Quite an
>interesting contraption.  As I pondered what type of temperament to put on
>it\, my mind began to race with the possibilities.  A nice well
>temperament with the flick of a wrist could easily become a reverse well,
>sideways well, upside down well, backwards well or, what-the-well
>well.    As I booted up my Verituner a voice from the back room called
>out, "By the way, the last guy put this weird temperament on it, just tune
>it the normal way".
>
>Probably would have tuned it in ET anyway.
>
>David Love

Well, I'll be...

You forgot Ne'er Do Well...

The well would still be a well, just the tonal center ("tonic") would be
shifted.  Just a little disconcerting, however, when your fingers and eyes
are saying one key, and your ears are hearing the tone color of another.

hmmmmmmmm... why does this tonic chord sound so Myxolydian?
(I know, I know. - mixed music theory - lower my grade...)

Conrad Hoffsommer PTG RPT, MPT, CCT

Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems