Voicing

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 23:51:43 -0700

Well I'm surprised, I've hung many sets of D hammers and I don't think =
I've ever had one that was pre-lacquered.  Maybe just the luck of the =
draw.  It wasn't just the tone, the hammers still needed some additional =
lacquering and the felt wouldn't take the lacquer in a way that only =
prelacquered felt reacts. =20

David Love

 ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 19, 2002 8:56 PM
  Subject: Re: Voicing

  In a message dated 9/19/2002 5:39:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =

    Subj:Re: Voicing=20
    Date:9/19/2002 5:39:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    From:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

    On a similar note, I got a set of D hammers from Steinway recently.  =
They were definitely prejuiced.  Not sure with what.  Never had that =
happen before.  Is this something new?

    David Love

             David

             Not new. I've heard this for years that the felt is pre =
laquered before pressing. To me this makes sense since they're pressing =
method doesn't provide for  much true compression or tension or =
density.I belive this to be by design. Pre - lacquering makes the felt =
stiffer which helps densify it some during pressing. It's forced to =
stretch and bend a bit more rather than just mush into the caul and =
around tha molding.=20
     The problem as I see it is that the method, isn't consistent. I've =
had some sets that needed very little stiffening solution and =
others...well  Dave ,you know

      ----- Original Message -----=20