Voicing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:18:13 -0400

I took a "Steinway Parts" class given by Nick Gravagne, with Kent Webb in attendence. Part of the class was preping the new Steinway hammer. My clear (IMHO) recollection is that the hammers come UNlacquered from Steinway. Nick suggested trying them unlacquered in your piano first and see how they sound before applying lacquer. Sometimes the very soft hammer will be a good thing.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 2:51 AM
Subject: Re: Voicing

Well I'm surprised, I've hung many sets of D hammers and I don't think I've ever had one that was pre-lacquered.  Maybe just the luck of the draw.  It wasn't just the tone, the hammers still needed some additional lacquering and the felt wouldn't take the lacquer in a way that only prelacquered felt reacts.

David Love