Voicing

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 23:56:44 EDT

In a message dated 9/19/2002 5:39:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Voicing
> Date:9/19/2002 5:39:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net">davidlovepianos@earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> On a similar note, I got a set of D hammers from Steinway recently.  They
> were definitely prejuiced.  Not sure with what.  Never had that happen
> before.  Is this something new?
>
> David Love
>
>          David

           Not new. I've heard this for years that the felt is pre laquered
before pressing. To me this makes sense since they're pressing method doesn't
provide for  much true compression or tension or density.I belive this to be
by design. Pre - lacquering makes the felt stiffer which helps densify it
some during pressing. It's forced to stretch and bend a bit more rather than
just mush into the caul and around tha molding.
   The problem as I see it is that the method, isn't consistent. I've had
some sets that needed very little stiffening solution and others...well  Dave
,you know