Important Question, was lucky break

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:22:26 -0700

    Well, Alan, unless I'm wrong (In which case I'm sure I'll hear about =
it), in the area of the upper temperament, the difference between A440 =
and A441 is approxiamately 4 cents, so 442 would be eight cents sharp.=20
    That being said, one cycle at A0 would be about 64 cents at the =
fundemental level, according to Jim Coleman Sr. So I suppose that one =
cycle per second at the top of the piano would probably be a fraction of =
a cent. Just this month he mentioned that, and remarked that it gave a =
whole new light on lower bass tuning, and quibbling over a few tenths of =
a cent.=20

    PLEASE, LET'S NOT HAVE THE MATH SPELLED OUT IN A WHOLE NEW THREAD. =
I'm sure that some would find it interesting, but Calculus puts me to =
sleep.=20

  Can someone clearly and simply explain the math involved in =
correlating
  absolute pitch (in Hz) to pitch relationships (in cents)?

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, MO