I Do It Myyyyyyy Way -- Was "ETD's accurate?"

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:06:41 -0700

Alan, you won't get any flames from me. My only complaint about the =
Yamaha tuners is that I don't like the way they tune the bass, but you =
do that by ear, so,,,      I also play four octaves at a time up the =
scale, listening for anything out of line. I think it's a great way to =
do a quick check before heading out the door. =20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 3:20 PM
  Subject: I Do It Myyyyyyy Way -- Was "ETD's accurate?"

  Well, well .... uh, okay. This is really going to agitate the sewage =
but ...

  I don't "calculate" or "recalculate" anything. I'm using the PT-1100 =
II
  (why? because that's what I have).

  I will set the temperament according to the best piano size match on =
the
  instrument. I test the intervals (4:2 octaves, 4ths, 5ths, running =
3rds and
  sixths). If I don't find a pressing need to change anything (rarely =
do) I
  tune by the lights down to the tenor break or first wound string and =
up to
  the top, then unisons from top down to aforementioned break or string
  change.

  I tune down aurally from there, aiming for 6:3 octaves (checking with =
ghost
  tones at the 12th/19th above my octave notes). Should also hear =
approx. 1/2
  second rolls in double octaves.

  After a few notes, I run 10ths down starting at G35 or so and make =
sure
  there is a smooth transition. If there isn't, I am more likely to pull =
in
  the octave toward the 4:2 than to mess with temperament that I was =
satisfied
  with.

  Tune the bass, using the 12th/19th ghosts (very accurate) and checking =
for
  pure sounding fifths (unless the strings are too noisy with =
longitudinal
  inharmonicity--love them big words! Finally,  I run 17ths down and =
sometimes
  listen to double octaves.

  My final check is to play and sustain all the A's from bottom to top.
  Unisons needing a touch up will stand out as will any questionable =
octaves
  (rare) and you can hear how the whole tuning sounds in the piano. =
This, I
  then repeat for A#, B ... to G#.