I Do It Myyyyyyy Way -- Was "ETD's accurate?"

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:20:00 -0500

Well, well .... uh, okay. This is really going to agitate the sewage but ...

I don't "calculate" or "recalculate" anything. I'm using the PT-1100 II
(why? because that's what I have).

I will set the temperament according to the best piano size match on the
instrument. I test the intervals (4:2 octaves, 4ths, 5ths, running 3rds and
sixths). If I don't find a pressing need to change anything (rarely do) I
tune by the lights down to the tenor break or first wound string and up to
the top, then unisons from top down to aforementioned break or string
change.

I tune down aurally from there, aiming for 6:3 octaves (checking with ghost
tones at the 12th/19th above my octave notes). Should also hear approx. 1/2
second rolls in double octaves.

After a few notes, I run 10ths down starting at G35 or so and make sure
there is a smooth transition. If there isn't, I am more likely to pull in
the octave toward the 4:2 than to mess with temperament that I was satisfied
with.

Tune the bass, using the 12th/19th ghosts (very accurate) and checking for
pure sounding fifths (unless the strings are too noisy with longitudinal
inharmonicity--love them big words! Finally,  I run 17ths down and sometimes
listen to double octaves.

My final check is to play and sustain all the A's from bottom to top.
Unisons needing a touch up will stand out as will any questionable octaves
(rare) and you can hear how the whole tuning sounds in the piano. This, I
then repeat for A#, B ... to G#.

Play a couple of tunes, collect check, beat feet.

Randy P. outlines a way to use the PT-100 on the whole piano with
calculations and adjustments. I just use it as an aid and trust the ears, as
I said. So, no calculations except on pitch adjustments.

Helmut and flack jacket on? Check. Silent prayer? Check. Ready to receive
instructions, criticism, better ideas, laughs and guffaws, scathing
denouncements? Check.

I N C O M I N G  ! ! !

Alan R. Barnard