Pinblock too low

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:03:51 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_000B_01C25D68.5B957A60
I once routed out a complete pinblock from the bottom of an antique =
piano to a depth of about one inch and then attached and epoxied an new =
block from underneath.  What a job!  I used a particle board template =
and took out less than 1/8 inch at a pass.  Any metal parts you miss =
taking out sure plays havoc with the carbide router bit.  I used a 3/8 =
bit. It was an open faced block and I routed until I could almost see =
thru it in some spots.  Saved it from the dump.

I'm attaching a photo of the modified right angle die grinder I used. =20

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com=20

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kdivad@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 9:13 AM
  Subject: Re: Pinblock too low

  In a message dated 9/16/02 10:11:53 AM Central Daylight Time, =
gnewell@ameritech.net writes:

    Tom,
             I think if you wanted to use a router or a hand held rotary =
planer=20
    you would have to remove the keybed while the piano was upside down.

    Greg Newell

  Tom, Greg,  If everything else checks out and you can solve the =
problem by taking material off the pinblock, a hand held rotary planer =
will fit in the cavity of most pianos.
  While a little awkward you can carefully hold the planer upside down =
and shave the bottom of the block effectively.  Just make sure you mask =
off the back action carefully, (don't ask).

  David Koelzer
  Vintage Pianos
  DFW=20

------=_NextPart_001_000B_01C25D68.5B957A60