National Average Rates; was Grand Island Tuner

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:41:44 -0700

Alan,
Methinks the $40 guys know what they are worth. The "Catch 22" is educating
the local populace to the value of a more expensive tuner. It's difficult at
best. I have always maintained that Tuners, in general, underrate their
value and don't charge appropriate to the inflationary rate of the dollar.
If you can find out what things cost, in your area, in 1967 when the Dollar
was "devalued" and then compare what those same things cost today, you can
take the 1967 tuning price, in your area, and calculate what it Should Be,
today. It's not a thing that the Fair Trades Commission, (or any of those
consumer beaurocracies), care about. Most of the paranoia regarding
discussing our prices, is just that. And it was started by a very
incompetent Lawyer type that used to be working for the Guild. IMHO, he was
an idiot.
My main motivation for this, is that I want all of you to make a comfortable
living, without having to work yourself into an absolute frenzy and die at
an early age, due to too much stress and aggravation.
Just a few tidbits on a Monday. :-)
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)