plate refinishing detail

Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre baldwin@mta-01.sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 16:23:26 -0600

When re stringing these pianos, we re scale the bass so the bi chords have
the same speaking length.  A huge improvement in tone and tunability.
Run a drill through the cast agraffes to clean and polish them, you will
find that string rendering will improve, and there will be less capo
noise.  Heintmans are notorious for string rendering problems in the treble.
The screws we treat in much the same manner, as below.
Roger

>I clean the screws with a wire wheel on a grinder. I put them in a box
>with chicken wire. (the very small squares, which are about 1/2" square),.
>I spray them with the same gold paint as the plate. Unless they are nickel
>plated to begin with. You should polish those up, and spray them with a
>clear coat of lacquer.
>
>I leave the hitch pins in, and spay them. That is not a problem. You can
>spray the agraffes, too, but for a super look, take them out and polish
>then, since they are brass. Keep should them in order when you take them
>out, and put them back in the same hole.
>Wim

Roger