Sound coming from the plate

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:23:40 -0500

Had the same "sound" in a Wurlitzer upright ... buzzed mostly when I =
played A4. Turned out to be the lock for the lid ... only made the noise =
when it was opened for tuning ... taped it while tuning. Point: Are you =
sure it's the plate? I read about a tuner that went nuts looking for an =
out-of-tune resonant buzz in a piano ... finally found it was a loose =
piece of glass in a leaded glass window near the piano!

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SUSAN P SWEARINGEN=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 3:57 PM
  Subject: Sound coming from the plate

  Hi Everyone.=20

  Has anyone ever encountered this before?  I have a client with an M1F =
from Yamaha.  It's only a few years old but already, Yamaha has =
discontinued the line.  It's a 43 " upright and it has one of those =
crazy lids that lift up like a grand piano.

  Anyway, I noticed that after I strike a key anywhere in the treble, I =
get a metalic sound that is not in tune with the note struck.  It was =
obvious to me that the sound I was hearing was the iron plate vibrating =
for a short time after the note was struck.  However, as I mentioned, it =
was a terrible out-of-tune noise.  It's not extremely obvious but it is =
loud enough that it drives the owner crazy.  The plate screws are all =
tight, as is every other screw I could find.

  I wonder if this was why this series was discontinued.  Anyone ever =
run into a similar problem?

  Corte Swearingen