New Question re: Potential Customers

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 12:42:59 -0700

I like the idea and have some PTG postcards but I have yet to
 give it a try...what do you do with those that don't reply?
David I.

From: <Wimblees@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: New Question re: Potential Customers

In a message dated 9/7/02 6:14:43 PM !!!First Boot!!!, mathstar@salemnet.com writes:

I've noticed several references to sending out reminder cards, etc.

I have been calling people when it's time (or when I think it's time) to
tune. Sometimes I get put off indefinitely or vaguely--they think the piano
sounds fine or don't want to spend the $, I suppose.

This feels like I used to when I sold insurance and called to set
appointments ... I don't like the feeling BUT I just think there would be
more procrastination and forgotten schedules if I leave it to the customer
to call--also more pitch adjustments to deal with, etc.

Your thoughts?

We've talked about this a couple of times in the past. But it never hurts to talk about it, especially since we have a lot more newbies on the list.

The need for piano tuning is like the need to get your teeth cleaned. 6 moths or a year goes by in a hurry. And just like your teeth, it is difficult to realize something has gone awry, since it happens so gradually. That is why a gentle reminder is n

But, as Alan said, customers don't always respond to a cold call. Most of the time customers hang up without really listening to who you are, or what your are trying to "sell" them, because to them, you're just another phone solicitor.

That is why I send out reminder post cards. There are some available from the home office, or you can make your own. The reminder card is a non invasive way to let your customers know that it has been 6 months, or a year, since you were there, and tha

It is also a time saver for you. I used to call my customers. I even sent them a post card telling them I was going to call them. Then one year, over a six month period of time, one month I sent out a post card telling the customer I would call them,

That was about 20 years ago, and I have never called a customer to ask them to get the piano tuned. They always call me, and I'm saving about 3 - 4 hours a week to do other things. The other advantage to the post card is that it will get put on the re

For the little amount of money the post card cost, they are a great way to build up your clientele.

Wim