key bushings

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 14:42:11 -0500

Hi Isaac,
                 We change BR pins quite often, no point in in rebushing=20
keys, (Labour intensive) and having worn, corroded, dirty, or damaged=20
pins.  If the pin is worn, just give the top of the pin a light tap with a=
=20
hammer and knock it in a tad. The cup be gone. <G>  Simple.

As for RPM, it's only a quick burst with the switch, the drill never gets=20
up to speed.
The drill is battery operated and light duty, so not an over abundance of=20
torque.
We just follow the angle of using the centre of the mortice as a guide.  I=
=20
know it's not exact.
  Key and drill are hand held so the drill just finds it way naturally, if=
=20
you get my meaning.  The pin is pushed into the hole before the switch is=20
pulled. You soon get the feel for it.   Not so different that learning the=
=20
feel for the key easing tool.
Hey, nothing is completely fool proof.
I am just as picky as you with fitting.  The swelling of the wood, is the=20
reason why I prefer waiting a few days before fitting where=20
practical.  Experience has shown me it achieves better results.
Your comment on using a caul in a soldering iron.  Pianotech now has=20
precision, parallel cauls, (I love there) if you use a thermostat on the=20
iron so the caul is not so hot, it will give a precise job.  It does a nice=
=20
job of laying the nap down, and controlling the friction.
Regards Roger