Capo shape question

Sat, 7 Sep 2002 12:48:19 -0700

The notion that lighter weight hammers produce better tone has merit, I
think.  Not too light, but lighter.  Building up density in a soft hammer
with applications of lacquer produces quality of tone that is characteristic
of NY Steinway type sound.  Shaping the V bar is important in getting clean
termination on that side.  I do it routinely on restringing jobs and it can
be done by removing the strings in the capo sections, shaping and replacing
them in a pinch.  How sharp it is will depend on how hard the material is.
It shouldn't be sharpened to a point.  But down to about 0.5 mm is ok.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 07, 2002 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: Capo shape question

Just how many of his ideas are actually in use today?  Not to many, if any.
I think he
wanted the V-bar to be shaped to a point...  V   That seems extreme and
prone to wear,
possibly string breakage.  Does anyone actually follow any of Ed's ideas?
Removing all leads and reducing the hammer to tiny things...?
I admit I haven't read his book entirely...

David I.