"Broadwood's Best" (HT)

SidewaysWell1713@AOL.COM SidewaysWell1713@AOL.COM
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 10:26:12 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/02 10:12:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> I've been perusing "Big Red", in regards to "Broadwood's Best", as in
> Historical Tuning. There seems to be two of the darned things! Which one is
> the one that all you Hysterical Tuning types, are referring to? Or to put it
> another way, which one is "Best"/your preference, and why?
> Seems a bit confusing to have Two Broadwood's Best tunings.

The "best" actually meant is was closest to being equal without going all the
way.  That, of course will always be a matter of opinion.

For the past few days, I have been trying to really find the actual
correction figures for the EBVT.  I can understand now why people have not
been able to get it and come up with radically differing results.  I am
closing in on it, however.

One thing I can tell you right now, however, is that if you use those figures
that Ed Foote copies out of Jorgensen's book, you'll also get different
results every time and they won't produce the same effects from one piano to
the other.  The problem with the Broadwood temperaments is lack of
definition.  No pure 5ths, no specified equal beating intervals, just unequal
3rds, some 5ths tempered a little more, some a little less.  Anybody can do
that.

Compare my work-in-progress, unofficial, rounded off correction figures to
the Tuner's Guide #3 (theoretically correct).

Tuner's         EBVT
Guide      (unofficial, work in progress, rounded off)

C +4         +3
C# -1         -2
D  +1        -1
D# +1       +1
E  -2         -2
F  +4        +2
F#  0         -2
G  +2        +2
G#  1        -1
A    0         0
A#  5         0
B   -2        -2

Contrary to what Ed says, my figures here are nearly if not identical to the
very first ones I came up with 10 years ago.  But apply them to an FAC
program and you'll get different results on each different piano you put them
on, as you would with any set of rounded of correction fugures.  I tried the
FAC program ET too and found hints of Reverse Well from it on certain pianos.
 Anybody who depends on these calculations to provide truly accurate results
is depending on on a rough tuning at best.  Yet, I remember Ed writing that
he would stake his professional reputation on it.  I surely wouldn't even
offer that to my lowliest of clients on a Wurlitzer spinet.

"Sideways Well":  the pit Ed Foote dug for himself to wallow in the day he
knowingly published false data for the EBVT.
Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin