Soundboard Failure

Scott Jackson jurjens@tpg.com.au
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 12:40:02 +1000

Following on from all the discussion about humidity and soundboards
etc......

I've just had a look at a very small console (shortest little jacks
i've ever seen). The ribs have seperated from the soundboard at the
top end of the ribs, causing bad vibrations and distortions. I am
familiar with rib regluing procedures, but this is the worst i've
seen. The ribs run vertical, not angled, and at the worst point at the
top centre of the soundboard, there is a gap of 10mm between rib and
board.

Do i try to clamp this up to reglue? Has the soundboard warped this
much? Am i wasting my time? Is this piano doomed?

The piano is about 60 years old and basically not worth anything, but
if i can fix it, it will make someboby happy. Should i have a go?

Scott Jackson
Jurjens Pianos
Wollongong Australia