BS-ing Hammers (not what you think)

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 21:15:54 -0500

Hi, All:

Working on a nice but sadly neglected 1910 Chickering Upright. Customer
(nursing home) won't pop for a complete rebuild but am replacing damper felt
and blocks, hammer rest felt, etc., and otherwise getting it playable.

Question One: Several of the very top treble hammers have wood peeking
through deep grooves. Searched the PTG archives, Reblitz, Potter Course ...
can't find any info on "buckskinning" hammers. Would appreciate a quick
course and/or tips from the voices of "been-there."

Question Two: Good old, innovative Chickering has those adjustable setouts
at the action bolts--I'm not sure how to adjust these. They would effect
blow distance and, to some extent, the strike line, I guess? Any hints?

One last thing, a mystery: The back of the whole treble section has been
worn down along the sticker rail. The flange screw heads are worn flat and
the birdseye ends of the sticker tongues are worn flat, too. It may be
obvious when I get back to the piano (an hour away) but I can't even IMAGINE
what has been rubbing on this area with such force.

Thanks, Alan R. Barnard