Tuning the Duplex (was ...Capo)

Ron Overs ron@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 23:30:31 +1000

>>RNossman,
>>
>>Dear Colleague,
>>
>>Do you know who invented the duplex scale?  It was CFT Steinway.  Before
>>jumping ship on who to listen to you might like to learn how to tune a
>>duplex, and what a difference tuning a duplex makes.
>>
>>Dan Franklin
>
>Dan,
>Yes, I know who invented it, and in my opinion, if any soundboard
>assembly method could possibly stand to benefit from a duplex
>arrangement, it must surely be Steinway's. I'm not jumping ship
>because I've never signed on as a passenger, and prefer (whenever
>possible) to attempt to think for myself rather than deciding whom
>to listen to. Tell me, have you ever designed, built, and installed
>a soundboard assembly with performance in mind, rather than CFTS,
>and heard for yourself what a reasonably efficient soundboard can do
>without the "benefit" of tune duplexes?
>
>Ron N

Beautifully said Ron N. The sooner we as an industry can move on from
what may have been cutting edge over a century ago in 1872, to shift
our focus to what is possible in this century, the better. I get
rather tired of hearing about the past, when we should be critically
interested in the future.

Thankfully, there are some on this list who are prepared to seek new
answers. Its a pleasure to read some of the contributions.

Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
Grand Piano Manufacturers