sharps ratio

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:32:23 +0100

Hello,

We regularly find actions where the sharps have a slightly different
lever than the whites.

This have been done by some manufacturers to even the touch when
playing in tonalities with many sharps, then the sharps have slightly
less dip and are heavier than the whites if measured at their
extremity, but the touch is more even in dip and resistance when many
sharps are in the tonality used.

Others maintain the same ratio, but allow the sharps to have a
different DW than the whites.

I wonder how are we to deal with these facts if we use a balance
equation. Can't it be then that we should find an advantage to use
different norms, than what is actually known, and measure the DW UW
slightly farther from the edge on the whites.

I believe we should understand the intention of the makers initially,
for sue sharps with a higher dip than whites does not make sense to
me. Depending of the difference, or the absence of difference, I guess
we may have to use the BW formula in a different manner.
And if the ratio is similar may be we should allow more BW for the
sharps.

Any good idea ?

Thanks

Isaac OLEG