Harmonium temperament

Robert Moffatt moffatt5@telus.net
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:08:12 -0700

You could tune the Harmonium. Slow going, but it can be done.=20

Found this 1890 Steinway on the web. This rare , signed ..B has an =
asking price of 900,000.00 - 1,200,000.00.  Any one remember what the =
Alma-Tadema sold for in 1997?

Bob

 http://www.levisauctions.com/levis.html=20

Moffatt & Sons Piano Atelier
Calgary, Alberta - Canada
Tel. 403 243-0385=20
moffattr@cadvision.com

-------

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David M. Porritt=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2002 8:43 AM
  Subject: Re: Harmonium temperament

  My best guess is out-of-whack.  Much of it is kind of "reverse well"
  that has been talked about ad nauseam.  The C-E third is wider than
  ET and F#-A# is narrower.  Others kind of fit in between. =20

  If the pianist is happy, that's the name of the game.  I probably
  would have just gone for a regular tuning, and only adjusted the
  pitch from 440 by enough to match the Harmonium.  Of course, when
  there is that much variance, how do you "match" the Harmonium? =20

  Again, if the customer is happy, it sounds like you did the right
  thing.

  dave

  David M. Porritt
  dporritt@mail.smu.edu