Choosing to Condemn

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:26:46 EST

In a message dated 27/11/02 10:12:52 AM, dm.porritt@verizon.net writes:

<<"I don't

see how knowing how to play would be a detriment to being a good

technician.

dave">>

<<"But I don't see how being able to play could do anything but improve

your

abilities as a technician.

David Love">>

dave and Dave, et al;
 I don't think I have said that not playing makes one a 'better' technician
nor have I said that playing makes one an 'inferior' technician.....If I have
worded anything that leads one to think that it was unintentional........

 Prejudice/Preference/Choice are all entwined in our daily lives. Training as
a pianist
tends to lead one to "prefer", be "prejudiced" toward, certain tonal colors
and this will carry over into our 'perceptions' and 'expectations' in our
work on pianos....in turn this will affect what we do as a matter of course.
This 'Prejudice/Preference/Choice' is a part of our experiential base and to
deny it is to allow it to 'rule' rather than 'guide'.......

 I don't know how to say it any other way.......course what I say doesn't
count because I don't play myself. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)