Choosing to Condemn

Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:40:41 -0800

I realize you weren't saying that, but I disagree with the second statement.
I don't think that training as a pianist creates biases.  Actually, I think
the best pianist skills to have are improvisational.  That allows you to
creates lines and phrases in different parts of the piano with different
levels of touch and really aides in voicing at the concert level.  Pianistic
skills are probably fairly meaningless for Aunt Mimi's spinet.  But at the
concert level, skills and knowledge help with, in addition to touch and tone
issues, communication with the pianist.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: <JIMRPT@aol.com>

 I don't think I have said that not playing makes one a 'better' technician
nor have I said that playing makes one an 'inferior' technician...

...Training as a pianist tends to lead one to "prefer", be "prejudiced"
toward, certain tonal colors and this will carry over into our 'perceptions'
and 'expectations'