Choosing to Condemn

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:52:17 EST

In a message dated 27/11/02 7:37:24 AM, tito@philbondi.com writes:

<< I have had a number of people tell me that they feel it's important that
you

be able to play the piano if you're going to work on it. >>

hmmmmmmm...... my standard reply to this type comment is to ask them if they
have ever flown in an airplane....then when they say "yes" I ask them how
many of the workers who built the thing they thought would be pilots? Other
professions not dealt with the same way? Heart Surgeons who have never had
heart trouble....etc.
 Being able to play the piano has real advantages but is not needful for
excellent work by the non player. The player brings, quite naturally, their
own set of musical prejudices to their work whereas the non player can just
listen to what the pinao tells them without being filtered through those same
built-in prejudices.
 Being able to "noodle", as Wim puts it, on the thingee after tuning is
really all that is needful....though I respect other opinion on this I
needn't agree with it.....if I did I would have to refund an awful lot of
tuning checks! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)