Sustain Time, was: S&S D Duplex

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:03:09 -0600

Hi Terry,

I have been telling clients for years about c6 lasting for 8 seconds.
Please have a look at Pianos On Trial on my website. The late Newton Hunt
looked for about 12 seconds around f5-f6.

At 05:28 PM 11/25/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I trust you are being a tad facetious here? The reason I ask though is
because "experts" so often suggest that sustain in the treble should be at
least 15 seconds. I always ask where in the treble (can't imagine they are
talking about C8), but never seem to get straight forward answers. I don't
think I have ever seen a piano that had 15 seconds of sustain anywhere in
the top two octaves. My Boston GP178 has about 8 seconds of sustain at C6
if you use your imagination. Overall, my Boston is one of the nicer pianos
I run across. (Definately a bit nicer than the 1892 Mehlin upright I
condemned this morning!)

>Can you be more specific as to what sustain times you like to see at C8,
C7, C6, C5 and C4 for instance? I realize all pianos are different and so
on, but what kind of sustain times at these notes would put a smile on your
face? What kind of times would make you frown? Thanks.

>Terry Farrell
>
>> An S&S O today had sustain times of 1, 2, 3.5, 5, and 16 seconds for C-8,
>> 7, 6, 5, and 4 respectively. Lovely.
>>
>> Ron N
>
>I tuned a Baldwin Hamilton a couple weeks ago that didn't have more than
one second of sustain for the entire top three octaves. It must have had a
marshmellow bridge or something. My Verituner had a bewildered look on the
screen!  :-(

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.