Sustain Time, was: S&S D Duplex

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:28:55 -0500

I trust you are being a tad facetious here? The reason I ask though is because "experts" so often suggest that sustain in the treble should be at least 15 seconds. I always ask where in the treble (can't imagine they are talking about C8), but never seem to get straight forward answers. I don't think I have ever seen a piano that had 15 seconds of sustain anywhere in the top two octaves. My Boston GP178 has about 8 seconds of sustain at C6 if you use your imagination. Overall, my Boston is one of the nicer pianos I run across. (Definately a bit nicer than the 1892 Mehlin upright I condemned this morning!)

Can you be more specific as to what sustain times you like to see at C8, C7, C6, C5 and C4 for instance? I realize all pianos are different and so on, but what kind of sustain times at these notes would put a smile on your face? What kind of times would make you frown? Thanks.

Terry Farrell

> An S&S O today had sustain times of 1, 2, 3.5, 5, and 16 seconds for C-8,
> 7, 6, 5, and 4 respectively. Lovely.
>
> Ron N

I tuned a Baldwin Hamilton a couple weeks ago that didn't have more than one second of sustain for the entire top three octaves. It must have had a marshmellow bridge or something. My Verituner had a bewildered look on the screen!  :-(