pianos in the sun

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:58:01 -0500

Ya ever pull a blanket over you and lay in the sun? Boy, oh, boy. =
Regardless of how hard you tried to convince them to move the piano, I =
would be tempted to try again. This is just going to trash the piano, =
trash the tuning, etc - I strongly suspect even with a quilted blanket =
on it.

Maybe wrap it in a nice space blanket? The only place worse I could =
think of to put a piano MIGHT be out in the middle of the back yard! =
There's gotta be a way to convince them. It just seems that important to =
me.

Good luck!

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "James McCormac" <jmccorm@tfb.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2002 11:54 AM
Subject: pianos in the sun

Citizens of Newtonville -

The other day while making my rounds I found two pianos that were placed =
in the sun. After the usual discussion with the clients about having the =
piano in a location with the least change in temperature and humidity - =
the owners responded that the pianos where put in the only place they =
fit - yada yada yada. In both cases the windows were designed for =
passive solar heating - so drapes etc. are not an option that they want =
to take. One solution for an upright piano would be an opaque screen of =
Asian design or of decorative wood to shade the piano. Perhaps not an =
ideal plan, but one that would go a long way to protect the piano. The =
grand piano presents too much surface to be shaded by a screen. Here a =
piano cover seemed the best protection. What options are there of cover =
material or quilting to protect a piano from the sun? Who are the makers =
that I should contact?

Best regards

Jim McCormac, RPT

Fallbrook, CA=20