pianos in the sun

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:46:19 -0600

>The other day while making my rounds I found two pianos that were placed
>in the sun. After the usual discussion with the clients about having the
>piano in a location with the least change in temperature and humidity -
>the owners responded that the pianos where put in the only place they fit
>- yada yada yada. In both cases the windows were designed for passive
>solar heating - so drapes etc. are not an option that they want to take.
>One solution for an upright piano would be an opaque screen of Asian
>design or of decorative wood to shade the piano. Perhaps not an ideal
>plan, but one that would go a long way to protect the piano. The grand
>piano presents too much surface to be shaded by a screen. Here a piano
>cover seemed the best protection. What options are there of cover material
>or quilting to protect a piano from the sun? Who are the makers that I
>should contact?
>
>Best regards
>
>Jim McCormac, RPT

I don't know how susceptible the owners are to expensive tacky decorating
schemes, but it seems to me that about 5,000-10,000 small mirror tiles and
a mile or so of double sided foam tape would do the trick without wasting
sunlight. Insulated and reflective is about the only thing I can imagine
even coming close to saving the pianos. How about a Mylar film (space
blanket like Terry suggested) or mirror tiles on a screen that would
scatter the light into the room and around the piano instead of just
blocking it? I suppose that doesn't get direct sunlight on the trombe wall
though. Maybe having the piano chromed.

If they won't keep the sun off of them, they had just as well fill the
pianos with gravel or water and incorporate them into the system.

Ron N