I Hate Long Subjectlines, was Re: RDLs=Recommended Duplex Lengths (I HATE abbreviations!)

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:22:57 -0500

At 5:50 PM -0800 11/24/02, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>The only way, that I know of,  to calculate the Duplex Lengths Needed is to
>first measure the speaking length of the note and then divide by 2, 3, 4,
>etc.

That's what Dan uses the slider for. In the class that I saw in
Burlington VT last spring, I didn't see any rulers or dividers. (Hey
Joe, wouldn't this be the place for a set of proportional dividers?)
Dan was unclear as to when the out-of-tuneness came from RDL's
needing correction, or simply unequal tension on either side of the
bridge. I said that if it were done by dividers the the RDLs could at
least establish know RDLs at the outset. It seemed  to me that
sliding by pitch would seem to put another variable into the formula,
namely tension (of inferred quantity, at best).but by length. He said
that pitch was how he did it.

Joe, I feel your pain on these daily-new acronyms. Try'em, you like
'em. Right out of the box, they're much harder to misspell. It's what
has raised this country's productivity (not having to spell the words
out longhand). Plus the fact that if you invent your own and everyone
adopts it, they all think you're an expert on the subject.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
     ...........Steve Martin