Stupid Mistake

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:52:20 -0600

P.P.S. You can wake up with a smile on your lips every single morning =
... but only if you are willing to sleep with a coat hanger in your =
mouth.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SUSAN P SWEARINGEN=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 11:15 AM
  Subject: Stupid Mistake

  Hi everyone.  I had my first little accident as a piano technician =
yesterday.  I'm fairly new to the business and this is my first mishap =
so I'm feeling a little guilty about it.

  Here is what happened.

  After tuning a 3-year old Yamaha U3 upright, I was placing the front =
board back in place when it slipped out of my hands and crashed into and =
on top of the piano.  It caused some minor rubbing on the finish but =
thank goodness it was only on the surface and it buffed out just fine.  =
The owner was standing nearby when all this happened so it was quite =
emabarrasing.  I thought everything was ok but the owner called me the =
next day saying the very left note (A0) was not playing.  She flipped =
open the top lid and peered in and saw that the A0 hammer was missing, =
just a broken hammer shank left.

  Of course, I'll be taking care of this little problem at no charge but =
I feel like such an idiot over the whole thing.

  I think it would be very theraputic to hear a few stories of similar =
mishaps when you more experienced folk were just starting out. =20

  How about it?

  Corte Swearingen