tuning in a noisy environment

Robin Blankenship itune@firstsaga.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:36:24 -0500

As a rank rookie, some years ago, I was privy to all kinds of horror =
stories told by the pros about their most nightmarish tuning experience. =
I purposed to get ahead of the game. So, I would practice "tuning" at =
home with the saturday afternoon Texaco broadcast of the Met going =
full-blast. It really did help.=20

Sometimes, one can affect the environment. But, sometimes one cannot. As =
when doing a performance tuning for a stage band with the band warming =
up around you and a freight train of empty coal cars clattering away not =
fifty feet away. All outside. That was interesting. Sheer concentration =
and an Accutuner got me through it. Likewise with the time that the =
customer, in his home, was right around the corner running a chain saw. =
Or, in a school cafeteria at lunch hour (kindergarten age kids).=20

But, like many of the rest of you, a normal converstion going on in the =
same room can be deadly. Especially when in the fifth or sixty octaves =
and the voices are female.=20

Tom Cobble, RPT, now in Florida, loves to tell the story of the rabbit, =
sitting on the grass median strip of a very busy highway who ignores all =
of the hustle and bustle around him. But, picks up his ears immediately =
to a light scratching sound in the grass.=20

It is amazing what we can learn to filter out, given good motivation.

Robin Blankenship

---