tuning in a noisy environment

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:33:18 -0500

At 03:36 PM 11/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>As a rank rookie, some years ago, I was privy to all kinds of horror
>stories told by the pros about their most nightmarish tuning experience. I
>purposed to get ahead of the game. So, I would practice "tuning" at home
>with the saturday afternoon Texaco broadcast of the Met going full-blast.
>It really did help.
>
>Sometimes, one can affect the environment. But, sometimes one cannot. As
>when doing a performance tuning for a stage band with the band warming up
>around you and a freight train of empty coal cars clattering away not
>fifty feet away. All outside. That was interesting. Sheer concentration
>and an Accutuner got me through it. Likewise with the time that the
>customer, in his home, was right around the corner running a chain saw.
>Or, in a school cafeteria at lunch hour (kindergarten age kids).
>
>But, like many of the rest of you, a normal converstion going on in the
>same room can be deadly. Especially when in the fifth or sixty octaves and
>the voices are female.
>
>Tom Cobble, RPT, now in Florida, loves to tell the story of the rabbit,
>sitting on the grass median strip of a very busy highway who ignores all
>of the hustle and bustle around him. But, picks up his ears immediately to
>a light scratching sound in the grass.
>
>It is amazing what we can learn to filter out, given good motivation.
>
>Robin Blankenship

I was tuning in a large function room and the air conditioning system was
making this low rumbling,
sub harmonic kind of noise. Impossible to avoid.

It wasn't until someone brought in an industrial strength vacuum cleaner
and fired that up
was I able to have something to ignore and tune the piano.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com