larger bridge pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:32:48 -0600

>My question are :
>Do you use to cut the pointed end to avoid delaminating of the bridge.
>Is hand drilling (with a handle enough to ream the hole to the good
>size ?

I use an electric hand drill (3/8" VSR, or my Makita cordless) with a bit
the same size I would use if I was putting that size pin in a new cap. A
conventionally sharpened bit will grab in the existing hole and chew the
heck out of your bridge cap. Yes, I am a witless, er, witness to this fact.
I use an old trick I stole from long gone folks who worked with cast iron
and had a similar problem. With a diamond grit stone, I grind a small flat
on the cutting edges of the bit, parallel with the length of the drill.
This changes the drill's cutting angle from 60° or whatever it was to 90°,
and makes it into a rotary scraper rather than a rotary chisel. It no
longer grabs and dives into the hole, but rather chews it's way in very
controllably and non-destructively. I can get a good fit without doing
further damage in the process, but I do this before I re-notch - just in case.

Ron N