S&S D Duplex

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:37:28 -0600

Duplex Dan:

You have been throwing around the word "respect" and "disrespect" in
your posts about the Duplex scale in what I consider an inappropriate
manner.  In the last go-around of this topic, you told me I was
disrespectful of CFT Steinway because I did not hold the Duplex in as
high a regard as you do.

Actually, I have the utmost respect for Mr. Steinway.  I think that
he nearly single handedly transformed not only the piano, but 19th
century music more than any composer of the era.  How did he do that?
 He gave us the "modern" piano, and his accomplishments in this
regard have been copied by all other manufacturers since that time.
In 1853, when his father and brothers started the Steinway & Sons,
pianos of the day were much like Chopin's Pleyels of the early part
of the century.  They were no where near as powerful, and had far
less sustaining capabilities that the modern piano. Only 31 years
later when the contemporary Steinway "B" was designed, this
transformation had fully taken place.  (Unfortunately for us the
design innovation of CFT's era came to a screeching halt.  For
example, that Steinway "B" has not changed since then.)

His innovations changed the way music was written for the instrument.
 No longer were harmonies repeated, or continually arpeggiated to
keep the harmonic flow.  Chords could now be played that would
sustain while other notes were played.  Brahms liked the new American
Steinway (and also the new Mason & Hamlin that also has that power
and sustain lacking in his previous instruments).  This changed the
way he wrote for the piano.  Were it not for CFT's work there would
be none of the greatest music by the greatest piano composer,
Rachmaninoff.  Can you imagine his G-minor prelude on a fortepiano,
or the C#-minor?

No, Dan, I fear it is you who are diminishing CFT's accomplishments.
The Duplex patent was just his 5th of 41 patents held by Steinway &
Sons.  I know of no historical evidence that he considered the Duplex
his crowning achievement.  I know of no anecdotal evidence that he
wanted to be known as "Duplex Ted".

Please believe what you want.  Teach what you want.  Campaign for
what you want, but please don't claim that those of us who are not
squarely riding on your particular bandwagon are disrespecting CFT
Steinway.

dave
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu