S&S D Duplex

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:28:12 +0930

Dan,

Really I don't want to knock the duplex system too much, its just that to me
the duplex is just there to cover for the other deficiencies in the design
of some pianos. I just personally think that the so called designers of
these thing should have approached the problems they were trying to overcome
a different way.

And yes, because they are there, tuning them is important. It does make the
piano sound better when tuned properly. I haven't tried to modify one to
what I would call correct because I don't fully recondition many grands so I
guess I tune them to the best sound I can get (in my opinion) with the
customer present and call it a day.

Hi Day.

Regards

Tony Caught

PS Did you know that to get the best sound violins are not tuned to the same
scale as in =temperament ?. Maybe the Steinway designer new this and decided
to Duplex the piano so it also should be tuned as a violin is to get the
best sound. Maybe all piano fitted with Duplex systems are really designed
to be tuned to some EBVT or something.