"Rebuilt"

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 07:56:23 -0500

I think we all know that there are many definitions of a piano being "rebuilt".

I scheduled a tuning for a lady who, on the phone, told me that her 1960 Wurlitzer console had been "rebuilt". She also complained of several keys sticking. I serviced it the other day. Before I opened the piano, she reminded me several more times that the piano had been completely rebuilt - everything new.

Imagine my suprise to find out that truth was slightly less than that stated. The piano had a set of new supply-house pre-fab dampers (yup, that's it!). The bass dampers were installed too high such that the bass hammers were catching on the thin wooden back part of the dampers. Clipping with a pair of wire cutters solved the problem.

Good grief! This was one of the most limited rebuilding jobs I have seen!

Terry Farrell