scheduling new customers

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:41:44 -0500

Phil,

This is not a one-size-fits-all question.  It is important to me that customers
know they can count on me year after year if they desire regular service.  There
are some months now that have enough work just from repeat customers, so how can
I schedule new customers in those months?

This is the way I do it.  At the end of each month I review how my workload was
and then keep on record how many new clients I can take in the same month of the
coming year.  In December I know I can take about 10 new clients, in January of
2003 about 10 new clients, etc.  Some months I can take more, some less.  I hope
that makes sense.

Suppose a new client calls and wants a tuning by Christmas.  I kindly mention
that I would really like to do it, but that due to how I operate my business (I
explain) I can't promise to get to their piano until January.  (There are
currently 14 names on the waiting list.)  Sometimes they are willing to wait,
because most of my business comes via referrals.  I am comfortable referring
them to one of my competitors if they need it done before I can do it.  I will
be able to accommodate about 80 new customers in 2003.

If a regular client calls with a service need I wasn't counting on, I work them
in somewhere.  If some cancel out that I was counting on, then I can add a
couple more.  Sometimes that just about balances out.

This is not a failsafe system, but it works pretty good for me.

One final thing:  I burned out at my last job from overwork, so I *have* to keep
from getting overloaded at this job.  If one can say no to new customers because
you are already working 70 hours, you can also say no when you are working 40-50
hours.  Life is more than work.  It's each person's choice.

Regards,
Clyde