finish

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 18:48:32 +0100

Polishing is not that hard but you need to do some befor having the
hand for it.

Good buffing wheels (cotton) , 3 pastes (solid) for the hard work,
foams and 2 or 3 creams for final polishing, wax for protecting the
finish.

Same work as for automotive.

People that use a cloth for the dust daily on their pianos use to
produce a lot of microscopic scratches, the use of a special tool for
dusting (antistatic tool I don't know the name of it in English) , is
to be used prior to any polish, or the dust will be the abrasive
agent.

Polishing is not that hard but it put a lot of dust everywhere, so the
inside may be protected with plastic film or whatever method.
And you better use a mask, or even better have an extraction
compressed air is wanted to clean the paste's dust before using the
liquid polishes.
The cotton are to be cleaned if too much paste on it. I do that with
60 grit linen, then clean the wheels on a hard wood edge, or turn it
in my hand .

I am not very enthusiastic about that job.

But if you are used to the machine, you can buff the plastic keys very
fast too.

Even ivories can be worked on the keyboard stack , not a perfect job
but enough if not paid for a full ivory refurbishing of ivories (10min
work approx.)

Hope that helps.

Isaac Z Oleg