finish

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 07:10:40 -0800

If this is a high gloss polyester finish, I would say that the loss of
gloss would be due to tiny scratches caused by the crystal.  Poly is
soft material, so anything put directly on the finish may grind any
dust/dirt into the finish.  If you looked at it with a magnifying glass,
you would see this.  There are effective polishes for polyester
finishes, such as Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #10 and #17 which I use to
polish out scratches.  Available at some auto and boating supply stores.

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Wimblees@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 6:14 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: finish

In a message dated 11/19/02 10:47:32 PM Central Standard Time,
koko99@shaw.ca writes:

Chichering grand. Color was a glossy
walnut or something similar.

Carl

If this a newer Chickering, with a high polish polyester finish, then
the problem might be a warrantee problem. Have your customer check with
the local dealer.

       She used to sit a crystal ornament on this spot, and I wonder if
that was the  reason for the imperfection. It's not a scratch, but gloss
is missing

It depends on how long the crystal ornament sat in that one spot. This
might have caused the finish to dull, for one reason or another.

As was suggested, if this is not a new piano, you might want to get a
very good refinsiher/touch up man to take a look at this.

You are right about women noticing things like that. When I had my
store, I would have my secretary and my in store technician, who is also
a woman, go over my new pianos. It was amazing the details they would
catch in just one glance, when I would have to look very carefully to
even spot a blemish.

Wim