When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:08:37 +1100

At 9:58 PM -0500 18/11/02, Terry Farrell wrote:
>  >From steinway.com:
>
>"Steinway & Sons refuses to skimp on materials, labor and effort in
>the construction of a musical instrument that is as close to
>perfection as the hand and cunning of man can make it."

We shouldn't believe everything we read.

At 6:55 PM -0800 18/11/02, gordon stelter wrote:

>Why not put Steinway, Knabe, etc. on the name board,as
>is appropriate, and a little booklet inside the piano
>explaining your modifications, and other
>specifications of the rebuilding, for all posterity to
>read?
>      Thump

Well said Gordon. I believe this is the best way to deal with this
problem. When we modify Steinway pianos, we produce a transfer which
is placed in a conspicuous place on the plate, listing the design
modifications undertaken. Frankly I don't give a toss wether the
piano I'm rebuilding is a Steinway, Kawai or anything else. Our
approach to rebuilding them is always the same. We modify  each
instrument as deemed necessary (with the client's permission of
course) to create a piano which pianists will actually want to play.
I try discourage owners from engaging us rebuild instruments without
modifications. I've done this a couple of times in recent years and
regretted the outcome.

Unfortunately though, as Kent pointed out in his post, the rebuilt
instrument will continue to be called a Steinway on the CD sleeve.
This is most regrettable (and a compelling reason why I prefer not to
rebuild Steinways for recording studios - why allow all your hard
work and thinking to become the opposition's advertisement?). In many
cases the tonal qualities of the instrument may have very little
which is creditable to the original manufacture.

Ron O.
--

        OVERS PIANOS
Grand piano manufacturers