When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:27:57 EST

davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> Several questions arise considering recent discussions about patent
> infringements, though this takes a slightly different angle.  At what point
> do changes breach any tacit understandings/agreements about what can be
> done to a piano and still call it that maker's piano?  Does the technician
> have any legal or other obligation to adhere to the designers intention, or
> commit any breach by making such changes?  What is the responsibility to
> inform customers of such changes (say in a spec situation with a piano for
> sale)?  Or any other considerations that I have not mentioned, or though
> of.  These types of changes, I realize, are made all the time.  What
> obligation do we have as technicians in such situations?  Any other
> thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
>

> David Love

David

If a piano is still under warrantee, then any changes like you mentioned will
automatically void the warrantee. If any changes are going to be done after
the warrantee is up, I think the piano can still be called a "Steinway," but
the customer should be informed what is going to be done, and why. The
customer will need to approve any changes that going to be made to the piano
that are different from what the factory did. Not only will it need to be
explained why these changes are being made, but more importantly, that the
piano will not be the same as an original Steinway. This is to protect the
tech in case the customer wants to sell the piano at a later date, and
another tech claims the piano has been altered, and therefore is not worth as
much.

Just my 2 cents worth

Wim