When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:57:51 -0500

At 6:57 PM -0800 11/17/02, David Love wrote:
>Several questions arise considering recent discussions
>about patent infringements, though this takes a slightly
>different angle.  At what point do changes breach any
>tacit understandings/agreements about what can be done
>to a piano and still call it that maker's piano?

I think Steinway may have answered that already, with its insistence
that if the parts in a Steinway pianos don't all come directly from
Steinway (NY), that the piano is not a Steinway. That's not nearly as
interesting a question as is yours, which is more qualitative. IOW,
what  amount of re-engineering would it be which would push the piano
outside of its lineage. Del doesn't seem to worry too much about it.
The purpose is to build a better piano, right?

>Does the technician have any legal or other obligation to
>adhere to the designers intention, or commit any breach by
>making such changes?

So far Steinway hasn't sued anyone who's sold a Steinway with a set
of Renner shanks and APSCo (R.I.P) front rail punchings, for putting
a Steinway fallboard decal on it and calling it as such.

>What is the responsibility to inform customers of such
>changes (say in a spec situation with a piano for sale)?  Or
>any other considerations that I have not mentioned, or though
>of.  These types of changes, I realize, are made all the time.
>What obligation do we have as technicians in such situations?
>Any other thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

I'd wait until they really got stuck on the piano. I think you can
safely say that it' nobody's business how far from a Steinway it is,
unless they're getting serious about the piano. Hopefully they'd be
serious because they'd fallen in love with the piano; they're easy to
spot. That's when it's their business.

At 6:57 PM -0800 11/17/02, David Love wrote:
>Back to pianos, hopefully.

I always love to talk pianos.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"The law gets you into everything. It's the ultimate backstage pass.
It's the new priesthood"
     ...........Al Pacino in "Devil's Advocate"