When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 20:21:33 -0700

 Hi David,
Your question seems to infer that some might think that the changes made =
might reduce the value of the instrument.
But it might also work the other way also.

To me it is sort of like changing an auto from stock to a real super =
rod. The owner/seller would tout the value of the changes to the buyer =
to raise the value of the item in the buyers eyes.
Then on the other hand when rewhatevering an old antique the value of =
the item most often goes down the drain so to speak. Not from its loss =
of quality but from other ascetic
values lost.

Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 7:57 PM
  Subject: When is a Steinway still a Steinway

  Back to pianos, hopefully.

  Had this discussion the other day with another tech when we were =
talking about a Steinway M and a couple of proposed changes which =
included: a new bass bridge, getting rid of the cantilever and =
lengthening the backscale, rescaling the piano and changing many of the =
gauges, especially in the upper end of the piano, detuning the duplexes =
and adding a new counterbearing bar in the capo section to change the =
string angle and duplex length... =20

  Several questions arise considering recent discussions about patent =
infringements, though this takes a slightly different angle.  At what =
point do changes breach any tacit understandings/agreements about what =
can be done to a piano and still call it that maker's piano?  Does the =
technician have any legal or other obligation to adhere to the designers =
intention, or commit any breach by making such changes?  What is the =
responsibility to inform customers of such changes (say in a spec =
situation with a piano for sale)?  Or any other considerations that I =
have not mentioned, or though of.  These types of changes, I realize, =
are made all the time.  What obligation do we have as technicians in =
such situations?  Any other thoughts on the subject would be =
appreciated.

  David Love