When is a Steinway still a Steinway

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:57:50 -0800

Back to pianos, hopefully.

Had this discussion the other day with another tech when we were talking =
about a Steinway M and a couple of proposed changes which included: a =
new bass bridge, getting rid of the cantilever and lengthening the =
backscale, rescaling the piano and changing many of the gauges, =
especially in the upper end of the piano, detuning the duplexes and =
adding a new counterbearing bar in the capo section to change the string =
angle and duplex length... =20

Several questions arise considering recent discussions about patent =
infringements, though this takes a slightly different angle.  At what =
point do changes breach any tacit understandings/agreements about what =
can be done to a piano and still call it that maker's piano?  Does the =
technician have any legal or other obligation to adhere to the designers =
intention, or commit any breach by making such changes?  What is the =
responsibility to inform customers of such changes (say in a spec =
situation with a piano for sale)?  Or any other considerations that I =
have not mentioned, or though of.  These types of changes, I realize, =
are made all the time.  What obligation do we have as technicians in =
such situations?  Any other thoughts on the subject would be =
appreciated.

David Love