chickery-chick

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 15:16:42 -0600

They were still using those as late as 1910. Fortunately for me, none =
broke on the one I worked on (bringing it up to "playable" status).

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe And Penny Goss=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 9:50 AM
  Subject: chickery-chick

  Hi All,
  Just thought you might be interested in a repair I discovered.=20
  Chickering about 1890 to 1905 ( did not check S# ) with brass rail and =
hammer return spring on the hammer butt. This has the chord for the =
return spring attached to the brass plate that holds the hammer =
assembly.
  Boy what a contrivance to assemble!
  Any way, with the plates breaking on their removal and no replacements =
i used the little spring with the brass foot Schaff number 1519B ahd =
filed the foot down so that it would fit into the channel of the hammer =
butt
  where the center pin is. I also had to file some of the wood off of =
the channel feet to make enough clearance for the parts to clear.
  To assemble was much easier than working with the original parts.
  I wonder how they did it back then??  ( Went on the factory tour of =
Yamaha in October ) Wow.
  Joe Goss
  imatunr@srvinet.com
  www.mothergoosetools.com