Something completely different

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:00:57 -0600

I put a stage truck under a piano with double legs last week. This was the
first time this had come up for me, and I wasn't entirely sure how I wanted
to go about it, except I had already quoted them a price. Naturally. I
pondered on some alternatives for a while, then went on-the-fly-engineering
shopping. I ended up with lengths of thin wall round cornered steel tubing,
1.5" x 3". Another trip to find a hole saw that would cut the mild steel,
making holes for the legs' feet to fit into, with adequate clearance, on
the top side of the tubing, and I had supports that were plenty strong, not
unsightly, and didn't leave the piano any taller than a more usual single
leg installation would have. The one thing I would have done differently in
retrospect would have been to lay a piece of wood inside with smaller holes
to fit the leg ferrules and keep them centered in the top clearance holes
more securely. That could still be done if it proves to be necessary - at
my expense.

Got lucky too, the truck was JUST small enough to fit the piano. Zero
margin. Wow! Serendipity planning at it's best.

Ron N