S&S D Duplex

Duplexdan@aol.com Duplexdan@aol.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:11:26 EST

Dear Alan Gilreath

Your input on the duplex scale and your question about my name are
encouraging. We first met at Providence, if my recollection serves me well.
And you later, as official of the National found that duplex scale technology
was not of interest to the membership. Your input suggests that the subject
may indeed be of value to our technicians. I commend you on your viewpoint
because the duplex scale is, in effect a feature of 75% of the world's most
popular instruments. At some point I am sure that a proponent of tuning
duplex scales will be included in the roster of PTG National instructors,
even if it is not me. The feature is more important than the inventor.

To set you straight on the name question my given name is Frankel which was
given to our family on Ellis Island in 1905 because my grandfather could not
get the immegration authorities to spell our Polish name TZSCHOCHAR
correctly. Grandpa Barnet said: "Well , this guy Frankel, owed me two goats,
four cows, seven bales of hay, and alot of favors, that he hasn't paid. So Im
going to take his name in payment" Subsequently, I began tuning for people
like Tito Puente, Charlie, and Eddie Palmieri, Joe Loco, Joe blanco, and
others in the latin field who could not pronounce the "l" in Frankel so they
called me Franklin. Basically i am not a contentious person : I am a
technician. so i adopted this name, professionally. For the past 30 years.

I hope this answers your questions. But I have a sneaking suspicion that you
are still "duplexophobic". That you are afraid of tuning a duplex scale.
Advil, anacin and aspirin won't help you Alan. I suggest you give it a try.
Your condition will undoubtedley improve with knowledge. Your excellent work
at the conventions will be improved to exemplary.

Dan Frankel/Franklin